How and why to connect MS-Teams to telephone network
How to connect Teams with Direct Routing.
To connect your Microsoft Teams to the telephone network, you typically need a feature called “Direct Routing.” Here’s a simple explanation of the process:
- First, you’ll need a Phone System from Microsoft, which is like a virtual phone service. This system allows you to make and receive phone calls using Microsoft Teams.
- Next, you’ll need to select your phone service provider that supports Direct Routing. This provider like Setera connects your Teams app to the telephone network. The provider handles the technical aspects of routing your calls.
- Once you’ve chosen a service provider, they will help you set up Direct Routing. They’ll configure the necessary connections between your Teams app and the telephone network.
- With Direct Routing in place, you can assign current or new phone numbers to your Teams users. These numbers act just like regular phone numbers and can be used for incoming and outgoing calls.
- Once everything is set up, you can start making and receiving calls using Teams. You can use the Teams app on your computer, smartphone, or tablet to dial phone numbers, answer incoming calls, and enjoy all the features of a regular telephone.
Benefits of connecting Teams to telephone network
- Seamless Communication: When Teams is connected to the telephone network, it allows people using Teams to make and receive phone calls just like they would on a regular telephone. This means you can easily talk to colleagues, clients, or anyone else using your Teams app, whether they’re using Teams themselves or traditional phone lines.
- Centralized Communication: By integrating Teams with the telephone network, you bring all your communication channels together in one place. You can use Teams not only for instant messaging and video conferencing but also for making and receiving phone calls. This eliminates the need for multiple communication tools and simplifies your workflow.
- Cost Savings: By using Teams for phone calls, you can potentially reduce costs. Traditional phone calls often involve long-distance charges or separate contracts with phone service providers. With Teams, you can leverage the internet and make calls over VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol), which can be more cost-effective, especially for international or long-distance calls.
- Enhanced Collaboration: Teams offers a range of collaboration features alongside its calling capabilities. When you connect Teams to the telephone network, you can seamlessly switch between messaging, video conferencing, document sharing, and phone calls within the same app. This makes it easier to collaborate with colleagues, share information, and keep everyone on the same page.
- Mobility and Flexibility: Connecting Teams to the telephone network allows you to take your phone calls wherever you go. Whether you’re working from home, traveling, or in the office, you can use your Teams app on your computer, smartphone, or tablet to make and receive calls. This mobility and flexibility enable you to stay connected and productive regardless of your location.
- Advanced Features: Teams offers advanced calling features such as call forwarding, voicemail, call recording, and more. By connecting Teams to the telephone network, you can leverage these features to enhance your calling experience and streamline your communication.
Overall, connecting Microsoft Teams to the telephone network simplifies communication, consolidates your communication tools, and offers cost savings while providing seamless collaboration and the ability to stay connected on the go.